OT- Contractor

Dave Cramer davec-zxk95TxsVYDyHADnj0MGvQC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 22 20:23:34 UTC 2010

While we're on the cost of this thing.

Incorporation requires you to have a corporate bank account which
means you pay fees to put money in the bank, as well as take it out
and they give you no interest.

I have done both: I found being a sole proprietor was more difficult
at tax time, I had to save the money to pay taxes, I also had to be
very careful what I was claiming. As it is difficult to separate
personal from business as a SP. Incorporation separates things nicely,
plus you can buy your car inside the corp and not pay GST, or HST
soon. Now you are "supposed" to claim this as a tax benefit, but I
have two cars one for my business and one for my personal use so ....

Speaking of the HST, the only people to benefit from it are going to
be companies, so having a company will allow you to claim back all of
your HST for company purchases. Only your accountant can advise you on
how aggressive you should be on what is a company purchase, and what
is not.

However the real advantage for me was the ability to leave money in
the company pay the 18% tax and take it out later. It is my retirement
plan.

Dave