OT- Contractor

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 21 19:07:49 UTC 2010

| From: Clive DaSilva <cdasilva-q6EoVN9bke6w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org>

| Do a goggle search on CCRA (Canada Customs and Revenue Agency)

As announced at the end of 2003, the Customs part was transfered to
the new Canada Border Services Agency and CCRA became CRA (Canada
Revenue Agency).

| and they
| will help you with getting a GST number. In my opinion, you don't need
| to incorporate right away )I've been a sole proprietor for years).

It would be great to hear from folks with experience whether a
corporate entity matters for their consulting work.

I have a corporation but do not know if that has mattered.  It is a
bit of a bother: either you hire an accountant or you become an expert
in another area of limited usefulness.  Because of my nature, I've
felt compelled to understand way too much (and yet not enough)
corporate law.

The Self-Council Press books might well be a nice practical guide
through the swamp.

(If you don't actually have to do it, accounting is actually an interesting
field.)