Linux infection proves Windows malware monopoly is over

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 18 22:29:59 UTC 2010

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> And it only has access as the user you ran the server as.  Now if you
> ran it as root, then you are of course an idiot. :)

True but local root exploits are orders of magnitude more common than
remote root exploits.  Getting a local shell increases the chances of
breaking root massively.

remote non-root exploit + local root exploit = remote root exploit

This isn't theoretical - combinations like this are used all the time.

> Or if you ran it as your regular user with sudo privileges that so many
> distributions seem fond of these days.

Even without sudo, a smart trojan could try to brute force the root
password from the local account although I don't recall ever hearing about
this method being used.  Few use suauth to restrict access to su.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org		Linux counter ID #16440