Which power supply?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 18 20:13:53 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 02:36:22PM -0400, Mike Kallies wrote:
> I had an Antec die on me.  Quietest supply I ever owned.  It even
> quietly failed.  They replaced it under warranty with no shipping
> costs or anything.  The new one is working fine, apparently the
> failure was a known defect.
>
> Given that I've never actually had a power supply die in one of my
> home machines before, that doesn't speak well of Antec's
> reliability... but it does speak well of their support.
>
> I'd be *really* careful buying an Antec for somebody other than
> myself.  Replacing a PSU is annoying.  The problems are documented
> though, so you should be able to avoid it by watching the model
> numbers carefully.
>
> Are their newest supplies good, or was it just a bad year?

As has been mentioned in this thread a number of times now.  The brand
really doesn't matter other than for what kind of service and support you
get.  The quality depends on the design and build of individual models.
You can't just look up and see that Antec makes good power supplies.
You have to look up a proper review of a specific model.

I would highly recommend a Corsair HX750 for example.  I would never
recommend someone get an HX650.  Same brand, same model line, totally
different power supply.  I would be perfectly happy recommending the
HX850 and HX1000 as well.

Other than PC Power & Cooling I can't think of any power supply company
that hasn't made some bad models.  PC Power & Cooling may have done so
too but I have never heard of it.

--
Len Sorensen