Which power supply?

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 18 18:00:46 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 9:48 AM, Jason Carson <jason-HjkH5KTEMfuEjziKL+yzSg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I've had good experiences with Enermax and PC Power & Cooling
>
>> While we're on the topic of "building" computers... Which power supply
>> (around 500W) would you recommend?  For other components, I can pretty
>> much follow my nose.  But, power supply is one component that I have to
>> defer to the experts.
>>
>> --
>> William
>>
>> --
>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/

Ditto for Enermax. I've generally had decent luck with Antec too. I
had one blow awhile back but it went cleanly. When a crappy PSU goes,
it is generally happy to take out other components in your PC. When a
good PSU goes, at least it often has the courtesy to commit Sepuku
rather than going Kamikaze on your motherboard and drives, etc....

As many have mentioned though, brand means little, because a given
brand will have both good and crappy models. The hardwaresecrets site
that Lennart mentioned sounds like a good place to check up on one.

Also, the modular power supplies are quite nice in that it can save a
lot of unnecessary cable-clutter. I recently put an "OCZ Modstream
Pro" PSU in a computer for somebody else. Other than smelling a bit
funky for the first 15 minutes (common enough) it worked nice and
quiet.