Local system builders? preferably North York or Thornhill

John Myshrall jmyshrall-v+ARZjKqHIj3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 17 12:37:02 UTC 2010

On 10-06-17 01:07 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
>    Any custom system-builders in the North York / Thornhill area?
>
>    As I mentioned in another thread, I may be having hardware problems
> with a machine.  This could be my excuse to get a real 64-bit system.
> My first reaction was to look at Dell's website.  The problem is, when
> you get to 8 gigabytes, they only offer 2 consumer systems.  And those
> are loaded with mandatory crud like a 23 or 24 inch monitor, and a
> super-duper ATI Radeon video card.  Paying extra is one thing; but I
> draw the line at cutting corners on the basics in order to get extra
> stuff I don't want/need.
>
>    I'm looking at getting a machine with 8 gigs of RAM and integrated
> ethernet/GPU/sound and not much in the way of bells/whistles.  I already
> have a monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers, thank you.  Of course, linux
> compatability is required.  With the exception of the outsourced Poulsbo
> fiasco, Intel has been pretty good recently with linux compatability.
> I'd rather their integrated GPU than ATI or nVidia.
>
>    Due to seizures years ago, I don't have a driver's licence.  I live
> near the corner of Dufferin+Steeles, so I can take either TTC or YRT
> buses.  That's the reason for my preference for North York or Thornhill,
> but I'd consider further away.  I have a neighbour in our condo building
> who'll occasionally drive me to out-of-the-way places, and I let his
> relatives use my empty parking spot when they visit him, but I don't
> want to impose too much.

Machines from the likes of Dell, HP, Acer etc are basically junk. The
power supplies are usually 300 watt and the MBs are non standard.

Your best option is do a little homework and assemble yourself.

I'm actually building a new Frankie box this week myself. It's not
bleeding edge but I will have a new machine with decent components.

Canada computers, Tiger Direct and New Egg are my favourites. They all
do on line but perhaps checking Canada Computers and Tiger Direct you
can value pick your components and then get a friend to drive you.

I picked up a New Egg Shell Cracker deal with an AM2+ board and Athlon
dual core 2.9 G for $122.00 delivered. Not bleeding edge but much better
than my aging 64 3000+.

Good luck.

John