Hard drive making ominous clicking sounds

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 17 11:44:36 UTC 2010

On 17 June 2010 00:39, Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>  And when it does, the drive light flashes, and programs freeze for a
> couple of seconds.  I've done the necessary updating to bring my backup
> machine online as a full replacement, so I'm OK for now.  Does this
> sound like a hard drive about to die?

I had one drive co-worker's drive run sounding like that for a couple
years (I kid you not - we replaced the computer before the drive
died).  But the vast majority of drives die within 24 hours when they
start making that noise.  I'm very glad you have a hot backup, because
that's absolutely the first thing you should do: make sure the backup
is good.  Good luck.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/