Local system builders? preferably North York or Thornhill

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 17 05:07:03 UTC 2010

  Any custom system-builders in the North York / Thornhill area?

  As I mentioned in another thread, I may be having hardware problems
with a machine.  This could be my excuse to get a real 64-bit system.
My first reaction was to look at Dell's website.  The problem is, when
you get to 8 gigabytes, they only offer 2 consumer systems.  And those
are loaded with mandatory crud like a 23 or 24 inch monitor, and a
super-duper ATI Radeon video card.  Paying extra is one thing; but I
draw the line at cutting corners on the basics in order to get extra
stuff I don't want/need.

  I'm looking at getting a machine with 8 gigs of RAM and integrated
ethernet/GPU/sound and not much in the way of bells/whistles.  I already
have a monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers, thank you.  Of course, linux
compatability is required.  With the exception of the outsourced Poulsbo
fiasco, Intel has been pretty good recently with linux compatability.
I'd rather their integrated GPU than ATI or nVidia.

  Due to seizures years ago, I don't have a driver's licence.  I live
near the corner of Dufferin+Steeles, so I can take either TTC or YRT
buses.  That's the reason for my preference for North York or Thornhill,
but I'd consider further away.  I have a neighbour in our condo building
who'll occasionally drive me to out-of-the-way places, and I let his
relatives use my empty parking spot when they visit him, but I don't
want to impose too much.