sunrays and linux?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 16 19:41:08 UTC 2010

| From: Matt Price <moptop99-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| I've been offered a bunch of sun ray 150's and sun ray 1gs by a donor,

The Sun Ray 150 includes a 15" 1024x768 display.  If that is good
enough for your users, then it sounds like a good deal.

There is a chance that screen painting might be sluggish.  Experiment
to find out.

X has been shedding network transparency in its recent extensions.  I
hope that that hasn't become a problem.

| and wondered whether list users had any experience using these thin
| client machines, which sun produced in the first hears of the
| millennium.  I do have something of a fantasy of setting up a
| thin-client computer lab, but these machiens are old enough that I'm
| not sure they can really handle a modern distro.

I've not used Sun Rays.  From what I've read, these are thin clients
and that all you need a matching bit of software on the host side.
That software existed for Linux.  I don't know if it exists and is
free for arbitrary distros.

|  Or, framing my
| ignorance in another way, I wonder whether he bandwidth required to
| serve everything over 10/100 ethernet is so great as to require
| expensive server and switching infrastructure (since everything I
| build happens on no budget, that could be a deal breaker).

Surely it is 100 megabit.  Should be enough.

I don't know how many can be served on a 100 megabit segmaent.  If you
wish to serve more than that, run more than one segment (using more
than one ethernet port on your server).