MAME - The Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator.

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 16 19:32:34 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 2:34 PM, ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> what size is that crt? and is there mag. and mirror or something that makes it look bigger in the
> cabinet?
>
> The button issue? isn't it just as easy as mapping the joystick port buttons (assuming you have that on the
> mobo, to the buttons on the game?), yeah having it go to mouse/kb really would make it sux.
>
> I would love to do this too. I have a 21" view sonic crt here doing nothing, and it may make a good
> crt to put in one of these? As well i have mobo's of needed power just laying around collecting dust.
>
> Colin, I didn't see to many games in your links. Is it the case do to legality, that you really have to
> dig for them? Was nice to see some games even of recent vintage (i.e. 2000) posted.

I have listed all the games that I am aware of that are available as
free downloads with the approval of the copyright holder (if there are
any others out there that I have not listed, please add them or let me
know about them). Some other games have been sold on CD by the
copyright holders to game fans. But bottom line with this project is
that while MAME supports roughly 8,000 games, the only way to get the
vast majority of those games, without fear of lawsuit, is to at least
acquire the original ROM chips that were in the game machine in
question.

Semi off topic, recently I was asked in an online survey if I had
copied / forwarded published book / magazine articles. Not sure who
was running the survey or why. Still I answered that yes, in the past
year I have copied / distributed magazine articles. What was not
asked, thus not answered, was if I had the permission of the copyright
holder, The only articles I copied / distributed were ones that I
wrote for publication, (so I had the permission of the copyright
holder (me!)). Still, I wonder if I might see some "big" study
announcing rampant copyright infringement in Canada, or worse, get
sued for infringing on one Colin McGregor's copyright ...  So, if I
seem to be tap dancing around the question of copyright material ...
well there is a reason ...

> Definitely a cool project for the rec-room, to re-live the arcade days of my youth, without actually
> having 20 physical units (in the rec-room).
>
> Now of course there is all the chatter of the 3d games (and crt/tv) just being released now.
> Maybe some one will mod these games (and MAME) to put out 3D versions of some of them, would be quite wild,
> not sure how easy it is to get in an modify MAME game code .. if its all roms, of essentially machine code ..
> I want to re-live the arcade playing of my youth (in my rec-room), but not the assembly language programming
> (of my youth), that I DO NOT miss! :)

MAME's job is to mimic old game machine hardware, so its job is just
to run old machine code. If you wanted 3-D games you would have to
modify both MAME (which is open source) and the game ROMs as well
(which are closed source). Bottom line, might be an interesting
intellectual exercise, but not very practical...

Colin.