U.S.B. speeds

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 16 19:28:03 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:31:24AM -0400, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> Slack Rat wrote:
>> Would this affect WiFi too?
>>
>> I have an Ad-Hoc net set up and the transfer is painfully slow
>
> Any device connected as a USB peripheral will have the USB speed limits
> imposed on it.

Still a USB2 port can handle 480Mbps (so practically it should do
320Mbps given USB's typical 1/3 encoding/overhead waste).  That should
be plenty for a wifi adapter.  Now if the adapter has a crap signal, it
could get slow.  If the user has not turned on EHCI support and is hence
running the port in USB1 mode, well that too would cause a big slow down
(since USB1 limits at 12Mbps, rather than 480).  Still even USB1 would
not explain 89KB/s.  That sounds more like a crappy signal.

--
Len Sorensen