vlc is broken after upgrading

Wed Jun 16 15:06:49 UTC 2010

I dist-upgraded my Debian testing system yesterday, and now I cannot
view video files.  It appears that the upgrade of libva to version
1.0.3-1 has killed all non-Flash video on my machine.  I know that there
is no simple way to downgrade via apt (the Achilles heel of Debian,
IMO), but is there another way to sort this sort of thing out?  Do I
remove the offending package and reinstall the previous, non-broken
library?  Any advice would be welcome.  Thanks!
--

yours,

William