U.S.B. speeds

colin davidson colinpdavidson-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 16 12:47:56 UTC 2010

Every communication protocol has protocol overhead. The more
connections deviate from a simple point-to-point communication between
two and only two devices, the heavier that overhead will tend to
become. As an example, the original ethernet had a physical transfer
rate of 10 million bits per second, but it was widely held that the
maximum useful data throughput was around 3 million bits per second.
Thus data transfer rates are almost always lower than the physical bit
rates (though in some cases data compression can give a higher data
transfer rate than physical bit rate, but only for data with fairly
high redundancy.

Protocol overhead isn't the only reason for poor performance, however.
It can also be the result of poor configuration (settings that don't
work well with the actual connection), poor topology, inteference,
signal loss and so on. These all apply to every form of communication,
though the causes and sources of the problems can vary massively
depending on the technology.

If your problems are caused by protocol overhead, there's nothing you
can do except change your connection technology. If you are
experiencing significant problems from other causes, however, there
will often be things you can do about it to gain significant
performance improvements.

There, that deals enough with the theoretical. Everyone else can deal
with the practical :-)

Cheers, Colin