Oh geez... didn't mean to post that to the entire list.

Jon vanaltj-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 16 11:52:18 UTC 2010

On 16-Jun-10, at 2:57 AM, Tyler Aviss wrote:

> One could post worse things than an inquiry about a rphone to a
> mailing list. No worried.
>
> Anyone still use IRC?

Every day.  Probably it is the biggest share of the array of
communication tools that I use.  For many open source projects, IRC is
a major channel (haha pun) of communication among developers, and
often the devs are willing to give end user help on their main channel
(or have set up a separate channel dedicated to such help).

> I remember when the common client would paste the copy buffer after
> a common button. I think it was the linux-style middle-mouse that
> did it, which sometimes led to some fairly massive "oopses"
> depending on what people had in their buffer...

What I see happening fairly frequently:
IRC user has console based linux client (irssi, etc) running in screen
session on linux box somewhere, ssh to linux box from wherever is
convenient to actually chat and/or check scroll-back.  This convenient
place is sometimes just a Windows box, so stuck using PuTTY to connect
to linux box.  For some terrible reason I cannot fathom, default
"paste" in PuTTY is the right click, so when attempting to do "normal"
windows behavior of right click for context menu or some other thing,
if PuTTY is in focus it cheerfully accepts the paste of whatever is in
the buffer, and if such thing includes a newline/return character it
gets sent immediately.  Great hilarity usually follows.
Perhaps we are talking about the same thing.

cheers,

jon