Linux infection proves Windows malware monopoly is over

Michael Lauzon mlauzon-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 14 14:31:38 UTC 2010

Well, isn't this an interesting turn of events:

"Every time I write about Windows security software, I get a
predictable flood of responses from Linux advocates who claim that
they don’t need any such protection. Today comes a shining example of
why they’re wrong.

"If you downloaded and installed the open-source Unreal IRC server in
the last 8 months or so, you’ve been pwned. Here’s the official
announcement:

'Hi all,

'This is very embarrassing…

'We found out that the Unreal3.2.8.1.tar.gz file on our mirrors has
been replaced quite a while ago with a version with a backdoor
(trojan) in it.

'This backdoor allows a person to execute ANY command with the
privileges of the user running the ircd. The backdoor can be executed
regardless of any user restrictions (so even if you have passworded
server or hub that doesn’t allow any users in).'"

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/linux-infection-proves-windows-malware-monopoly-is-over/2206

--
Sincerely,

Michael Lauzon