Call for salvaged hardware!

Gron Arthur gron.arthur-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 11 19:00:46 UTC 2010

The problem with old machines is not what to do with them.  It's the
cost of storage.  We do a poor job of producing garbage.  Yes, garbage
is produced.  It is collected with large trucks, manufactured by being
sorted or badly sorted in depots, bought/sold/traded.  Kitchen waste
ends up with electronics, tin with paper, plastics do not get sorted.
Imagine if old electronics where shipped to to the dessert and stored
in a very dry environment.  It'd still be a form of landfill, however,
it would be well a sorted landfill ready to be used once somebody came
up with an idea for the stuff (like a better form of material recovery
or secondary use for a machine).

Here is a secondary use for an old machine I want to try.  Get an old
printer, pull out the stepper motor, use the printer cable to connect
the the motor to the parallel port.  Find a power inverter from
another old machine to power the motor. Now you have a robot.
http://electronics-diy.com/electronics/stepper_motors.php

I'm wondering, if the purpose of teaching students is to have them
understand more about electronics, then perhaps the hindrance of an
old machine could be turned to a benefit.  Going slower, learning
more?  Perhaps starting with an older copy of Linux, having them learn
to format a drive, and partition it?