x86-64 precompiled binary question

bob 295 icanprogram-sKcZck+fQKg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 9 14:31:13 UTC 2010

We've been producing i386 precompiled binary versions of the SIMPL open source
stuff for a while now.    This works well enough for those with 32 bit
machines.   It doesn't work very well for 64 bit machines.

What is the equivalent GCC flag to produce x86-64 code to the lowest common
denominator for 64 bit machines?   ie. what do Linux distributions use when
they produce an x86-64 version?

I looked up -mtune=generic on the GCC man page but it appears to produce some
kind of hybrid 32bit/64bit code.  Very confusing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

bob