bootable backups

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 7 14:09:58 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 06, 2010 at 06:34:53PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> If the original source is harddisk, then backing up to another harddisk
> would make sense.  For that, you just have to "copy" that harddisk.
>
> Eg.  Given "sda" is original harddisk, and "sdb" is backup disk,
>     mount /dev/sdb /mnt
>     rsync -aHxv --delete / /mnt

As long as you don't have any database files, given those would be open
and often don't like being backedup that way.

> Just use whatever booting method you use, to make it bootable.  For
> simple setup, using "DOS" method of "active partition" is the easiest.
> I'm familiar with LILO, but not with GRUB.

I read recently that LILO is being dropped from the next Debian release
because it doesn't work with large kernel images/ramdisks and no one is
apparently bothering to try to fix it.

Not that I will personally miss it, but it was once upon a time the way
to go.

--
Len Sorensen