OT: Portable GPS Devices, Is There Such Thing?

tug williams tug.williams-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 6 23:53:16 UTC 2010

On 05/30/10 11:35, Michael Lauzon wrote:
> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 09:19, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> Yes, there are a number out there. Among the OpenStreet Map folks, at
>> least in North America, Garmin seems to be the most popular brand.
>> Most of the Garmin models look like fat PDAs that you can carry easily
>> in one hand. Also, all but the most basic models can used to collect
>> track data for OpenStreet Map (hint, hint :-) ). Some GPS reviiews can
>> be seen here:
>>
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GPS_Reviews
>>
>> Colin McGregor
>>

> You know as well as I do, that OSM by me is not going to happen, I
> don't drive a car, I have a bike and only use it in the summer, and I
> try and avoid hills as I am grossly overweight for someone my height
> and very out of shape.

I bought a Garmin etrex Vista HCx a while back, about 1.5"x2"x5" I use
it to match GPS positions to digital photos. So far I've done this
manually, but the plan is to use GPSCorrelate to automate this, and the
longer term plan is to use the barometric altimeter to create a map from
a patch of land, but you could use it to tell you if you're cycling up
hill ;-)

It even tells you what the fishing is like and when is likely to be the
best time of day.

Canadian tire were selling some pre-usb versions for half the price, but
I wasn't interested in dealing with serial ports, and the serial cable
was not included.

tug