How do you change the boot delay time on GRUB?

marthter marthter-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 6 13:12:46 UTC 2010

On 10-06-05 10:12 PM, Fabio FZero wrote:
> On a related note: am I the only one here who HATES the new Grub configuration?
>
> If anybody here gets it and thinks it's brilliant, please write some
> comments explaining why. All I see is a new and unnecessary layer of
> abstraction.
>
> - FZ
As root, edit the GRUB_TIMEOUT line in /etc/default/grub and then run
'update-grub'.

Note that setting it lower than about 2 may be faster than your video
card changes modes so you may not actually see the count at all.  In
that case, for the times when you DO want something besides the default,
you have to blindly press something (say, down cursor key) repeatedly
during boot up in hopes of catching it.

Martin

p.s. As for the new layer of abstraction, I did try a
just-to-see-if-I-could experiment the other week to set the grub menu to
a higher video mode (I can't remember if it was 1920x1440 or 1600x1200
that I got working) and a splash image of that resolution, and it was
much easier lately than I remember it beingwith the old way.