bootable backups

Darryl Moore darryl-90a536wCiRb3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 5 17:35:51 UTC 2010

I'm looking into local backup solutions.

Specifically what I want is to be able to backup some of my servers to a
live CD or live USB so that if there is ever an issue with the server I
can reboot it, (or another machine) from the CD and immediately bring
the machine back online.

Obviously this may not work work for servers which use a lot of disk
space, but for DNS/DHCP, asterisk, or routers, this could be really
useful

So far all I've seen that appears to be capable of this is remastersys
and bubackup. The problem with both of these is that they require
Xwindows, which none of my servers are running.

Does any one know of any simple scripts I can run from bash which will
do this? Preferably without unmounted my root partition so that I don't
have to take the server offline first.

Thanks,
darryl