what would you pay for good kernel documentation?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday-L09J2beyid0N/H6P543EQg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 5 14:12:51 UTC 2010

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, Mike Kallies wrote:

> ... but if the 200 page guide were a monthly posting on a blog, I'm
> sorry to say that no, at this point in the history of the Internet,
> *I* wouldn't pay for articles online.... and I can't justify to
> management donating money to your website as a business expense :-)

  *sigh*.  apparently, a colleague of mine was correct when i bounced
this idea off him.  he told me flat out that it wouldn't work, and his
reasoning was simply that the open source community has become
pathetically spoiled by all their software being free, to the point
where a lot of them think they're entitled to anything they want at no
cost.

  i called him on it and told him he was being ridiculously cynical.
he told me to post and see the reaction i got.  and i can see that he
knew exactly what he was talking about.

  if you can seriously write that you can't justify donating what is
effectively the price of a single beer because you couldn't defend it
as a legitimate business expense, then, sadly, my buddy knew precisely
what he was talking about.

rday