Two news stories...

Sadiq sadiq-KzRxrKfdH+/c+919tysfdA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 4 11:35:08 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-04 at 00:23 -0400, Colin McGregor wrote:
> Two news stories that have stuck me as being interesting over the last
> few days.
>
> Seems the Quebec government broke the law by buying Microsoft
> software, without a proper tendering process where the should have
> considered Linux and other OSs:
>
> www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/06/03/quebec-microsoft-lawsuit.html
>
> Not a great victory for Linux, but at least from now on they will have
> to pay at least lip service Linux (and other non-Microsoft
> options...).
>
> Next is the new copyright bill, which ... has some depressing elements
> to it.... :
>
> www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/06/02/copyright-bill-clement-montreal.html
>

> Colin McGregor

Some of the comments on the Quebec lawsuit story are just plain asinine.

"Linux sux, it looks like Windows 98, and the version before looked like
Win3.1."

All these pre-conceived notions of Linux need to be erased before Linux
gains more market share. Distros like Ubuntu definitely don't look like
Windows 98.

Another interesting article on the new copyright bill:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/06/canadian-dmca-defends-drm-legalizes-dvrs.ars

--
Sadiq <sadiq-KzRxrKfdH+/c+919tysfdA at public.gmane.org>