For the old timers

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 1 15:24:41 UTC 2010

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010, Jamon Camisso wrote:

> I really have no idea though, Robert B., you seem to know more about
> IPv6 infrastructure and (admittedly low) adoption?

For much fun subscribe to some of the 'NOG' lists (or read their
archives).  Discussions about the adoption of IPv6 (or lack thereof) are a
regular occurance now :)

NANOG is a good place to start.

If anyone does subscribe please remember that the NOG lists are for
network operational matters.  Discussions about the network, theory,
politics, etc, happen but any attempt to get general computer support
there will be met with icy glares.   I'd recommend reading for quite a
while before considering posting.

It's amazing how little IPv6 hit the public consciousness given that our
entire society now relies heavily on the Internet.

There's been a lot of discussion about what will happen if IPv6 is not
widely deployed before IPv4 runs out.  I think it will stall the growth of
the Internet and generally be a problem we could have done without :)

It's worth noting that a widescale rollout of IPv6 won't mean the end of
IPv4.  Opinions differ on how long the two will coexist.  I put it at 10
years from the point that IPv6 becomes widespread.  Some other
system/network admins I know think they will coexist for 20 years or more.

I had this link in my sig for a while but here it is again:

http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/index.html

Cheers,

Rob

--