adding 1G ethernet to a 100M network

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 29 19:58:52 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 03:08:12PM -0400, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> By fixing the rate, they can differentiate between 10M, 100M, and 1000M
> service and charge accordingly. This episode explained why in another
> colo facility where we didn't have a switch between the server and the
> colo facility's switch, we had to use ethtool to set the rate or again,
> we'd fall back to 10M, half-duplex. That colo facility was never able to
> explain why and had just shrugged it off.

The proper way to do that is to configure autonegotiation and specify
what to advertise.  Turning off autonegotiation is stupid.

If the port advertises "I can only do 10Mbit" then that is the speed
the ports will negotiate at.  Any decent managed switch can do that.

So there is no excuse for what they are doing other than incompetence.

--
Len Sorensen