Cisco boxes...

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 27 19:50:48 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 12:31:53PM -0400, ted leslie wrote:
> Seeing as how Cisco is moving to Linux, and only becoming a HW maker,
> the answer would be "none!".
> Or, just make sure you get the models that run the Cisco Linux OS,
> which off the top of my head is none of the ones you mentioned?
>
> Cisco IOS is crap (like that had to be clarified), they finally figured that out, and have moved on to Linux,
> which is good on them. Having said that, there will be plenty of historic set ups for some time to come,
> but I doubt it will be worth the pain. From what I have read, they will be "converting" a certain
> subset of their OS commands to be backended by linux, but I am not sure to what extent.

Well the high end Cisco systems use XR instead, which is transactional,
unlike the original IOS.  That was one of the old IOS system's main flaws.

I believe XR runs on QNX, but I am not sure.

The system I work on has a command line similar to Cisco XR (although
certainly not exactly the same, the hardware and features are too
different), and of course runs Debian underneath with tail-f's confd
on top.  Amazing how many users insist on things being Cisco like.
Makes me wonder if Cisco is going the same route (I believe they are a
customer of tail-f's).

--
Len Sorensen