Hardware Diagnostics (Was: A talent for repair)

Scott Sullivan scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 27 05:47:39 UTC 2010

Dear List Members,

The story quoted below reminds me how unverifiable our computer hardware
can be.
As such I wish to relay a story of my own experience and at the end
propose a question.

I own an OLPC XO.

For awhile after I got it I was experiencing strange behaviour when
using the keyboard. Wrong characters, the inability to use
ctrl-sequences. Like the owner of the Toshiba from the other story I
suspected that it might be a loose connection from the keyboard to the
main board.

The OLPC XO was designed with serviceability in mind, so taking it apart
was rather easy with only three types of screws used in the whole design
(with spares located inside the casing!). But I found nothing to be a miss.

What eventually allowed me to track down the issue was the built in
hardware diagnostics in the firmware (BIOS eqv.).

The OLPC XO boot firmware includes visual diagnostics for all of it's
hardware components.
These include live trackpad data visualization, fish-eye generation on
the USB ports (checkable with an ossiliscope) and most important in my
case a live key press map.
With this diagnostic I was able to watch the keys as I pressed them and
after playing with it for a bit I noticed the Ctrl key was sticking.

Now, this is not your normal keyboard in the OLPC XO, it's a fully
sealed membrane. It is also rather silly how I repaired the problem by
accidentally causing a rip in the membrane around the key.

But to put this story in to perspective, if I had not had that tool in
the firmware, I would have never likely figured out the cause.

My question to the list is this,

     What would it take to get manufactures to making their products
serviceable again?

(And I don't want to hear "Fat Chance" or "can't beat greed" answers,
give the question a chance and come up with some constructive thoughts.)

--
Scott Sullivan