Home NAS Recommendations

Gary Walsh gwalsh-BSvtlmuW8nk at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 23 19:54:09 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-06-27 at 21:09 -0400, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> I am planning to set up a fileserver for my home network.  Mainly, this
> is so that when my wife is at home she can sync her laptop and her
> desktop (both Macs) via a quick-and-easy rsync so that both machines are
> always in sync, with an additional copy on the network from which the
> offsite network backup can happen at night.
>
> I don't want to set up a separate full-sized machine to take this role -
> I'd prefer a small, quiet and inexpensive device that I can plug in and
> will "just work".
>
> I am looking at these two devices - a Linksys Media Hub or a WD MyBook:
>
> http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_357&item_id=023031
> http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_213_603&item_id=031508
>
> I would welcome any other suggestions or caveats.  Thanks!

I have been using a D-Link DNS323 for a couple of years.  Works for me.
Make sure that you get the latest firmware before you use it, though.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_357&item_id=011783&sid=0u6u58r3s8kv43147tvar126s6

--
Gary Walsh; Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
gwalsh-BSvtlmuW8nk at public.gmane.org My Blog: http://gwalsh.notw.ca