The Best Keyboard Ever - $8.99

Andrej Marjan amarjan-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 19 21:32:38 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 12:56:02PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 05:32:40PM -0400, Colin McGregor wrote:
> > My personal preference is the Microsoft "natural" keyboards. They look
> > ugly as @#$% but they are VERY comfortable to type on. For
> > day-in/day-out typing I'll take comfort over looks (though the above
> > keyboard does look nice)...

> I had one.  I gave it away.  Terrible to type on.  My mom tried it and
> hated it.  They split the left and right hand keys wrong so touch typists
> can't type on it.

Indeed, they're pretty lousy. I'm a big fan of the Datadsk Smartboard
layout http://www.datadesktech.com/desktop_sb.html -- it's not totally
esoteric like a Kinesis, say, but the layout of the split, and the way
the keys fan out and grow in size as you get farther out from your
palms, is very smart. I wish all split keyboards did that. This is the
first keyboard on which I actually used my pinky finger for the P key
(qwerty layout).

Also, it's one of the few keyboards that can do a negative incline out
of the box.

Unfortunately, their build quality has declined over time (cheaper
switches, fewer key chord combinations supported...). I seem to abuse my
keyboards heavily, and given the build quality of my last smartboard, I
don't see myself buying another one. I expect a certain amount of build
quality for the prices they charge, irrespective of layout cleverness.