Anyone tried built-in raid in P55/Q57 chipset?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 19 16:33:26 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 07:01:03AM -0400, William Park wrote:
> Thanks for 'dmraid' heads up, Lennart.  I had to add one more header
> file to get it to compile.
>
> Anyways, I found that both Software Raid 0 (mdadm) and Fake Raid 0
> (dmraid) have the same throughput, ie. both sucks.  Backing up 1TB
> filesystem to single disk takes 50MB/s and to Raid0 takes 70MB.  That's
> only 20% improvement.  I expected 3x because Raid0 has 3 disks.

Make sure your filesystem block size matches with the raid block size.
Could also be hitting limitations of the bus or the controller in terms
of total throughput.

I personally have no idea about raid0 performance.  raid0 is something
I will never ever be using.  Disk die often enough as it is, I don't
need something to multiply the probabilities together.

--
Len Sorensen