Anyone tried built-in raid in P55/Q57 chipset?

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 19 11:01:03 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 02:06:03PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 12:38:02PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> > Since my Asus M2N-E (nForce 570 Ultra chipset) comes with "NVidia
> > MediaShield RAID", I thought to try it finally.  BIOS sets up raid, but
> > Linux just sees individual disks.
> >
> > How about Intel side?  Has anyone tried built-in raid in Intel P55/Q57
> > chipset?
>
> My wife's desktop runs build-in raid on an Intel X58.  Installing the
> bootloader was a @#$@#$@#$ pain in the ass (and I had to use grub 1.
> grub 2 does not currently work with it and neither does lilo apparently).
>
> dmraid and boot support is basicly a pain right now.  dmraid itself is
> however just fine.
>
> I recently tried to get grub 2 to work with dmraid and after poking
> at it occationalyl for a few weeks stooped bothering and used standard
> linux soft raid1 and installed grub2 to both MBRs.  It works.
>
> The only reason for using dmraid is to have dual boot with windows and
> using raid with windows on the same disks (which is why my wife's desktop
> is using it.  It also has windows 7 installed).
>
> You do not gain any performance using the onboard fakeraid through dmraid
> compared to md software raid.

Thanks for 'dmraid' heads up, Lennart.  I had to add one more header
file to get it to compile.

Anyways, I found that both Software Raid 0 (mdadm) and Fake Raid 0
(dmraid) have the same throughput, ie. both sucks.  Backing up 1TB
filesystem to single disk takes 50MB/s and to Raid0 takes 70MB.  That's
only 20% improvement.  I expected 3x because Raid0 has 3 disks.

--
William