The Best Keyboard Ever - $8.99

aaron d instantkamera-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 18 21:23:04 UTC 2010

> I finally found Filco seller, <elitekeyboards.com>,

Yes, elite keyboards is the only place to buy them new, along with the topre
boards and other good products (here in NA).

> probably cheapest Cherry switch desktop keyboard around.  Curious Cherry
> themselves don't make desktop keyboards with their own MX switches.

Actually, taking into account shipping and import taxes/duty that you are
likely going to be charged, the least expensive cherry MX blue-based board I
know of is the Adesso 135 (actually the 125 is even cheaper, but it's layout
isn't worth the savings).
tigerDirect has em for 99 bucks:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=6308003&sku=A68-1311&srkey=adesso%20135

As for cherry, they do (make their own boards). Stock on the right boards is
just hit or miss from sellers (US based). You have to make sure you pay
attention to model # since they make a tonne of boards. Some may have cherry
switches you DON'T want, some are domes.

http://www.geminicomputersinc.com/g80-3000lscrc-2.html (blues - sold out)
http://www.datacal.com/p-1254-cherry-g80-3000-keyboard-with-brown-switches.aspx(browns
- in stock)

provantage has some off and on as well.

>  Do you have Filco Tactile Touch ("brown" switch) or Filco Tactile Click
> ("blue" switch) ?

 I don't have either, but I have used the blues and they are what I prefer.
I don't think I would like the browns as by all accounts they are FAR less
tactile. I'm saving for a Filco because I trust their build quality. All the
guys I know with them are pleased as punch (in any combination of switch
type, layout (tenkeyless or standard), Nkey roll-over ability and OTAKU
(blank keycaps)).

Since it sounds like you are genuinely interested in - if not irrevocably
hooked on ;) -  the search for keyboard nirvana, I suggest you hit up
geekhack.org. These guys are the TLUG of input devices.

required reading:

-info on all the major switches, what they are like and which boards have
them:

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Mechanical+Switch+Keyboards+Sorted+By+Switch

- the IBM wiki. They made the hardware that started (and, in the minds of
many, ENDED) it all. You do yourself and all lovers of mech a great
disservice by NOT reading this (no matter how much you think you know):

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=IBM+Wiki

Then browse the wiki for topics that you are curious about in general:

http://geekhack.org/forumdisplay.php?f=34

I also HIGHLY recommend you get back in touch with the mechanical boards of
yore before dropping cash on new shtuff. Part of the reason this hobby is so
addictive is the hunt for old boards. Get an IBM Model F or M, get a Dell
AT101W and break them down, clean them and marvel at how much better they
work at the ripe age of 10-20 years old compared to new POS boards you are
using now. (and if you hit paydirt, the mother load of vintage boards, share
some with me ;))

Peace,

aaron