how would you spend $1000 on a server?

Mark Lane lmlane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 15 15:07:00 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 4:29 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 02:18:20PM -0400, Matt Price wrote
>
>> Probably running Debian or Ubuntu unless there's a compelling reason
>> to go to something else.
>
>  A server will probably be only dispensing files, so it doesn't need to
> get bogged down with a GUI.  I believe you can turn off X (not just
> switch to a text terminal) in Debian, and uninstall it altogether.

You can turn off X with any distro and I can't think of a distro can't
uninstall it.

If this is a machine that they are going to administer locally maybe
they want X for convience. With the power of current machines X is not
going to big worry performance wise.

--
Mark Lane <lmlane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>