how would you spend $1000 on a server?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 14 18:18:11 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 08:08:01PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> I selected Intel P55 board, because they all explicitly support Xeon.
> The cheapest P55 Xeon board from Asus is "WS Supercomputer" which is
> $230.  Hmm... $70 budget overrun!

I don't skimp on quality for the mainboard.  Asus has a long history of
knowing how to build boards with intel chips better than intel does.
They sure know how to write BIOS code better than intel.

The P7P55 WS is available for $199 a number of places, so it is only
slightly more than the intel board.  I have no idea why the xeon wouldn't
work on all P55 boards.  How odd.

Officially the xeon is only supported on some boards, although many
people claim it works fine on lots of P55 boards.  Might not be worth
taking the rist of course.  Not sure why anyone wants the xeon over one
of the normal desktop CPUs anyhow.

> I like Samsung, because they have "enterprise" specs (whatever that
> means) at "consumer" price:
>     - 1 in 10^15 non-recoverable error,

It sounds nice, but I am still going to stick with raid, and I am really
looking forward to btrfs stabalising so we can have a filesystem with
CRC block checks.

>     - 7200 rpm,
>     - 1,200,000 MTBF
>     - good power consumption
>
> For 2TB, though, Western Digital is way ahead of the rest.

Is the samsung quiet like the WD drives?

--
Len Sorensen