how would you spend $1000 on a server?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 13 16:21:52 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 07:56:48PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> Good timing, since I'm also considering upgrade.  Here is my list...
>
>     - Xeon X3430 2.4GHz (similar to i5-750)     $215 (infonec.ca)
>     - Intel ATX motherboard DP55WG              $160 (infonec.ca)

I have seen so many horror stories about intel boards that they would
never be on my list.  Intel is probably the slowest of all companies to
fix major BIOS issues, and the one intel board I have dealt with in the
past didn't even last 12 months before it died.  So intel boards do not
equal quality to me.  Good chips, crappy board and BIOS.

>     - OCZ DDR3-1600 Intel XMP 4GB               $110 (infonec.ca)
>     - Cooler Master Silent Pro M500 psu         $ 60 (canadacomputers.com)
>     - Cooler Master 690 II Basic mid-tower      $ 80 (canadacomputers.com)
>     - Samsung 1TB 7200rpm Spinpoint F1 (boot)   $ 65 (infonec.ca)
>     - WD 2TB 5400prm Green (backup)             $120 (canadacomputers.com)
>     - DVD                                       $ 25

Everything else looks perfectly nice (assuming the M500 is similar to
the M600, which it almost certainly is).  No idea about sansumg harddisks.
I haven't seen one in about a decade.  Back then it was pretty sad,
but that was a different era.

--
Len Sorensen