display resolution

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 12 20:32:05 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 03:32:40PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>
> | What version is your intel xserver?  There was a bug a couple of years
> | ago that made the intel driver misread the DDC info and completely mess
> | up the DPI detection.
> |
> | What is the full output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log?
>
> <http://pastebin.ca/1899236>
>
> I'm typing this on the train to the Linux Symposium.  See you there?

Nope.  I ended up not having time to go this year.  Darn.

> xdpyinfo says:
>   dimensions:    1400x1050 pixels (370x277 millimeters)
>   resolution:    96x96 dots per inch
>   depths (7):    24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32
>
> xrandr -q says:
>   LVDS1 connected 1400x1050+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 245mm x 184mm

Well the logs certainly show that it got the DPI right.  Perhaps kde/gnome
is messing with the setting when you login.  Certainly gnome has a DPI
setting in a few places (fonts for exanmple) and defaults to 96dpi as
far as I know.  I currently am running kde 4.4 on Debian unstable and my
dpi in xpdyinfo shows 95x93 which is right for this screen.  But that's
on an nvidia driver, not intel.

Would be interesting to try creating a .xsession with just 'xterm' in
it to run and starting that session and running xpdyinfo.  Then you are
sure nothing could have messed with the detected default.  If it says 96,
then there is a driver bug.  If it doesn't, then your desktop software
(gnome/kde/etc) is messing with it.

--
Len Sorensen