Anyone tried built-in raid in P55/Q57 chipset?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 12 18:06:03 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 12:38:02PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> Since my Asus M2N-E (nForce 570 Ultra chipset) comes with "NVidia
> MediaShield RAID", I thought to try it finally.  BIOS sets up raid, but
> Linux just sees individual disks.
>
> How about Intel side?  Has anyone tried built-in raid in Intel P55/Q57
> chipset?

My wife's desktop runs build-in raid on an Intel X58.  Installing the
bootloader was a @#$@#$@#$ pain in the ass (and I had to use grub 1.
grub 2 does not currently work with it and neither does lilo apparently).

dmraid and boot support is basicly a pain right now.  dmraid itself is
however just fine.

I recently tried to get grub 2 to work with dmraid and after poking
at it occationalyl for a few weeks stooped bothering and used standard
linux soft raid1 and installed grub2 to both MBRs.  It works.

The only reason for using dmraid is to have dual boot with windows and
using raid with windows on the same disks (which is why my wife's desktop
is using it.  It also has windows 7 installed).

You do not gain any performance using the onboard fakeraid through dmraid
compared to md software raid.

--
Len Sorensen