display resolution

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 11 21:01:11 UTC 2010

On 07/11/2010 04:46 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> It seems that xorg.config is considered optional and even a bad idea.
>
> Without it, xorg seems to get display resolution (in the sense of dpi
> (dots per inch)) wrong.
>
> For example, my Thinkpad X61 has a screen with 1400x1050 pixels and X
> figures this out from EDID.  It also sees this (which is correct):
>
> [    33.901] (II) intel(0): Max Image Size [cm]: horiz.: 25  vert.: 18
>
> So my screen is 150 DPI.  But X thinks it is 96 DPI.  I can change that by
> saying
> 	xrandr --dpy 150
> or adding a Monitor section to my (so far non-existant) xorg.config:
>     Section "Monitor"
> 	Identifier "Monitor0"
> 	DisplaySize 250 180   # In millimeters
>     EndSection
>
> There is no GUI way in the obvious place on Fedora 13: System:
> Preferences: Monitors.
>
> This seems dumb since the information is useful and discoverable.

Take a look at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_xorg.conf

That page notes that "The X configuration is automatically determined
each time X is started. In most cases, this works well and there is no
need to manually specify X configuration information."

I guess your case is one of the not-most-cases ;)

Jamon