how should I implement dynamic subdomains?

Yanni Chiu yanni-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 11 05:02:47 UTC 2010

ted leslie wrote:
> different port number? why? visitors from offices with firewalls with
>  only 80,443 open will not be able to reach your sites.

I wasn't clear. I want to fire up a series of application servers, each
listening on a different portno. Apache would rewrite the url to
localhost:portno based on the subdomain. So, trythis.foobar.com would be
served by an app server listening at localhost:portno, where portno is
specific to 'trythis'. Visitors would still hit port 80, but Apache
would proxy it.

The a2ensite file for trythis.foobar.com would have something like:
<VirtualHost *:80>
     ProxyVia Block
      ProxyPreserveHost On
      RewriteEngine On