how would you spend $1000 on a server?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 10 08:29:25 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 02:18:20PM -0400, Matt Price wrote

> Probably running Debian or Ubuntu unless there's a compelling reason
> to go to something else.

  A server will probably be only dispensing files, so it doesn't need to
get bogged down with a GUI.  I believe you can turn off X (not just
switch to a text terminal) in Debian, and uninstall it altogether.

> Hard to believe we need more than a couple of hundred gigabytes of
> storage, esp. if most media are hosted on the big social media sites
> (vimeo, youtube, flickr, etc).

  Does the facility have the space/electrical plugs to add an external
USB drive later, or would you be looking at installing another internal
drive if you needed more space later?