how would you spend $1000 on a server?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 9 20:30:22 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 03:29:40PM -0400, Digimer wrote:
> Perhaps, but a good PSU+chassis will last you through several
> reiterations of guts.

True.  I do have silverstone cases on all my home machines, although only
one uses a silverstone power supply.  Silverstone has OK power supplies
as well as some great ones, but there are better choices.  Same for Antec.

> Well, I recently got a handful of Western Digital drives and already one
> is dead (two weeks later). Seagate isn't what they used to be, but the
> rest of the field is, in my opinion, worse.

Western digital has been my choice for a number of years now.  Yes a
few have failed, but they usually give warning before dying, and their
firmware is always fine.  I expect a disk to fail occationally.  I don't
expect firmware that bricks the drive at random or which is incompatible
with standards compliant controllers because someone couldn't understand
a perfectly well written spec.  So based on that Seagate is probably
the worst drive maker out there at the moment.

--
Len Sorensen