Netapp

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 9 19:50:48 UTC 2010

On 07/09/2010 03:33 PM, Christopher Browne wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Jose <jtc-vS8X3Ji+8Wg6e3DpGhMbh2oLBQzVVOGK at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> We are currently looking to get some backstorage, and we are looking at
>> netapp, does any body have any comments about this product?
>>
>> Thanks for your comments.
>
> I've heard good things about them; fine products, albeit rather
> pricey.  People are commonly willing to run databases atop NFS on
> them, which tells me that they've got a mighty good implementation of
> NFS.
>
> They were pioneering (or near so) in making filesystem snapshots
> visible at Unix level.

An unaffiliated plug for Scalar (a channel reseller for NetApp, EMC
etc.) who have an office here in Toronto. They know their stuff.

What particular storage unit(s) are you looking at? How long is your
deployment expected to last? Are you building a new network? What type
of network etc.? Any preexisting equipment that you need to integrate with?

My bias with a new deployment that I'm working on is to have lots of
cheap fast storage.

Any unit from any vendor with 10GbE should have NFS/CIFS, and iSCSI all
in one convenient adapter - either copper or fiber depending on the
network. Since I'm working with a 10GbE core network, those criterial
will be the most future-proof.

Also, the performance overhead with iSCSI is not much of an issue now
with adapters doing all the TCP work instead of host CPUs.

There's a case for straight FC or InfiniBand depending on one's needs,
sure, but if you're like me just starting out with a brand new network
and storage deployment, the future seems really to be in 10Gbit units on
a dollar per GB basis.

In the end, the vendor shouldn't matter as much if the equipment fits
your requirements.

Jamon