how would you spend $1000 on a server?

Digimer linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 9 19:29:40 UTC 2010

On 10-07-09 03:25 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 02:39:40PM -0400, Digimer wrote:
>> Perhaps something like this:
>>
>> * Antec or Silverstone chassis + PSU (both make nice looking cases and
>> have quality PSUs). I'm particularly fond of Antec's Sonata line.
>
> Those make a big dent in the budget, but they are nice.

Perhaps, but a good PSU+chassis will last you through several
reiterations of guts.

>> * ASUS ASUS M4A785T-M/CSM (the CSM suffix just indicates that it's
>> guaranteed to be available for a year+).
>
> So has ATI finally made a chipset that just works or do they still have
> piles of ugly quirks required to work properly?

Worked flawlessly for me.

>> * AMD Athlon 2 X[2..6]. Any part with an 'e' suffix (ie: 600e) is
>> "high-efficiency) and will run at 45w. Personally, I used the Athlon 2
>> X4 600e. Doubt you want/need quad core though, so any dual-core ###e
>> would be great.
>> * 2x Seagate 1TB drives (ST31000341AS) or 1.5B (ST31500341AS) in
>> *software* RAID 1. There is no benefit to hardware RAID 1 and it binds
>> your array to the hardware. Software you can recover on any machine.
>> * Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G (2x2GB DDR3-1333). If you want 8GB, get two
>> of these. The 8G kit is substantially more expensive that 2x 4G kits.
>>
>> That should fall well under your $1000 range. I know the above hardware
>> works flawlessly under CentOS 5.5, which is about the same vintage as
>> Debian 5.
>
> Anyone that has paid attension in the last few years would avoid seagate
> SATA drives.
>
> Yes seagate was once great at making harddrives.  They still are to some
> extent, except they screw up in the places where screw ups shouldn't
> happen (like firmware).

Well, I recently got a handful of Western Digital drives and already one
is dead (two weeks later). Seagate isn't what they used to be, but the
rest of the field is, in my opinion, worse.

--
Digimer
E-Mail:         linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
AN!Whitepapers: http://alteeve.com