how would you spend $1000 on a server?

Matt Price moptop99-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 9 18:18:20 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 1:47 PM, Digimer <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 10-07-09 01:40 PM, Matt Price wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have about $1000 budgeted for a box that will mostly host a bunch of
>> probably-low traffic websites, based on wordpress or maybe sometimes
>> drupal,
>> and some mailing lists.  I'm just wondering what sort of features I should
>> aim for in such a box, if I want the hardware to last a couple of years:
>>  is
>> onboard RAID important?  Is a Xeon processor a big plus, or DDR3 memory?
>> Should I be building the box myself&  handpicking the hard drives etc., or
>> are there particular manufacturers/retail outlets I swhould just trust?
>>
>> if i can come in somewhat under $1000, that gives me a little extra money
>> for a backup system and/or UPS, which I might or might not have to
>> purchase
>> out of this budget.
>>
>> Appreciate all the help, as always.
>> Matt
>>

> Pedestal or Rack?
> What Linux distro/ver?
> How much anticipated storage space do you need?
> I/O intensive (sounds like no)?
> etc.

Pedestal.  Probably running Debian or Ubuntu unless there's a compelling
reason to go to something else.

Hard to believe we need more than a couple of hundred gigabytes of storage,
esp. if most media are hosted on the big social media sites (vimeo, youtube,
flickr, etc).

I don't think super i/o intensive.

 share your anxieties about the cloud servers, though ted may be right that
it's the easiest solution.

thanks,
matt