Any Google Chrome/Chromium or Opera experiences/reviews?

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 4 23:18:59 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 01:49:34AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 11:06:21PM -0400, Andrej Marjan wrote
> > Personally I'd rather have a big, open source browser running apps
> > directly than a small browser hosting a suite of closed plugins
> > which then run the apps.
>
> Non-sequitur.  What's wrong with a *SMALL*, open source browser
> running "helper applications", many of which are available as open
> source?  Got a spreadsheet to edit?  Launch Gnumeric/Excel/whatever.
> Got a fancy document to edit?  Launch Word or AbiWord or whatever.
> But fercryinoutloud, please do *NOT* incorporate Open Office or MS
> Office or Google Gears into the browser's source code.

It's multi-faceted issues:
    1. Programmers have to justify their existence by coding something.
    2. Salesman have to justify their existence by selling something "new".
    3. Users expect something for their upgrade troubles.

Unless "powers that be" ban Java, Javascript, 65KB CSS, Frontpage
generated HTML templates, you'll always have bloat. :-)

--
William