Creating My DVD Movie Database

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 4 05:27:23 UTC 2010

| From: Stephen <stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>

| I have about 300 DVD movies.
|
| I would like to create a database to support queries.
|
| Movie Title
| Director
| Actors
| Themes

When I had 300 books catalogued, I found a flat file + grep to be
sufficient.  In fact, I still find it OK with 10 times as many
catalogued.

Mind you, books are perhaps simpler.

Data entry is annoying.  We use librarything (online cataloguing
program), even though this raises privacy concerns.  That way we can
just scan barcodes and hope.  (Actually, ISBNs are not enough to get
cataloguing info for all books, not even just ones with ISBNs.)

There are similar services for DVDs I think.  Try
  <http://www.itrackmine.com/HPWhy.php>
I've just found it via google, so it might not be great.

This other one (also found via google) seems to work on Linux, be
free, open source, and uses the SQL server of your choice.
<http://griffith.cc/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=38>
It claims to suck info from: IMDb, DVD Empire, AnimeDB, Moviefone,
Mediadis.

For movies, I often want to know about actors and directors of movies
I don't own.  (I admit that one reason is that I own very few.)  I
find IMDB quite useful.  Where IMDB falls down is that the plot
descriptions are too rudimentary.