free: two tiny old PCs

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 4 03:33:26 UTC 2010

I have two old PCs that I'm no longer using.  I'd love to pass them on
to someone who might use them, especially for open source projects.

+ very small: 23cm wide 7cm high 30cm deep

+ built like tanks (heavy)

+ full PCs

- old (~PIII 800MHz)

+ 512M of RAM (if I remember correctly) and 30G hard drives

+ two PCI slots (but cramped!)

+ each has a built-in ethernet interface, two PCI NICs, several USBs,
  VGA, serial, parallel, PS2 keyboard and mouse ports, etc.

- quite noisy.  That's why I don't use them.  The fans are tiny and
  fast.

+ they make great gateway computers.  I even carried two of them in my
  suitcase to Helsinki for an IPSec bakeoff.

+ run Linux well (I haven't tried a recent version)

- (if my memory is correct) one has a blown fan in the power supply.
  And I don't know how to get a power supply for it.  They are AT (not
  ATX) power supplies, but small.  So you could probably
  jury-rig an external AT power supply.

- the one with the blown power supply fan is partly disassembled.

If nobody wants them, I'll strip them for parts and toss the
carcasses.