Any Google Chrome/Chromium or Opera experiences/reviews?

waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 3 03:13:13 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 01:14:32PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote

> I'm curious as to what happens if you build up a reasonably complete
> toolchain around uzbl.  Will it bloat in similar ways to FireFox (and,
> for that matter, Chrome) if you open a dozen web pages at once?

  I think that "toolchain" is a misnomer here.  It has a specific
meaning in the *nix world.  The uzbl "toolchain" seems more like your
own set of Firefox extensions.

> On the other hand, if what's really "eating your lunch" is the memory
> footprint induced by the JavaScript run by all the AJAX-like
> applications, then the would-be savings may be a mirage.

  Would you believe... fsync() being called "early and often" to flush
SQLite databases, and in the process, *BLOCKING ALL OTHER DISK I/O* for
several seconds at a time?  For an explanation, see webpage...
http://aplawrence.com/Web/firefox-sqlite.html

  And getting rid of "Abortion-Bar" and returning to the FF2.x auto
complete mode (*URLS ONLY*), would by itself be worth the effort as far
as I'm concerned.