Any Google Chrome/Chromium or Opera experiences/reviews?

Andrej Marjan amarjan-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 3 03:06:21 UTC 2010

On July 2, 2010 01:14:32 pm you wrote:

> On the other hand, if what's really "eating your lunch" is the memory
> footprint induced by the JavaScript run by all the AJAX-like
> applications, then the would-be savings may be a mirage.
>
> It would be unfortunate to go to the effort of building toolchains
> around uzbl if it left the *big* problems unsolved.

If you want "HTML5"-like functionality with any performance, you'll end up
with something the size of Firefox, or Chrome, or Opera (10.5). And most
people do seem to want that.

The trend is toward Flash-equivalence directly in the browser, plus offline
application support, etc. These days that means robust video, 3D,
multithreading, web app-accessible in-browser database...

Personally I'd rather have a big, open source browser running apps directly
than a small browser hosting a suite of closed plugins which then run the
apps.

That said, I'll take Firefox over Chrome for general browsing any day for one
simple reason:

You can't build things like adblock and noscript for Chrome. It's not possible
-- Chrome's extension mechanism is too anemic by design (for "security"
reasons, with convenient side effects for Google's revenue stream).

Also, it's not possible to have pervasive, reliable mouse gestures in Chrome
(design decision, WONTFIX, etc.). I don't know if there are any really good
cookie blockers/managers for Chrome either.

Not to mention the other 10 firefox extensions I've really grown to enjoy
using.

Chrome is amazingly fast and I use it for a handful of computationally heavy
apps, but while its multiprocess model is robust, the browser just doesn't
offer anywhere near the privacy control and general security that Firefox
(+extensions) does. And that's by design.