How do you change the boot delay time on GRUB?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 2 20:12:43 UTC 2010

| From: Fabio FZero <fabio.fzero-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
| Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 22:12:56 -0400

| On a related note: am I the only one here who HATES the new Grub configuration?
|
| If anybody here gets it and thinks it's brilliant, please write some
| comments explaining why. All I see is a new and unnecessary layer of
| abstraction.

I don't like the new configuration stuff.  Perhaps due to ignorance.
The descriptions I've read don't really deal with the problems I've
got soon enough to prevent me giving up.  The thing is quite
intricate.

Some of the problem might be with conventions and those conventions
may not be from the GRUB2 team.

Things I'd like now:

- a good config file that I (the sysadming) "own" so my changes don't
  interfere with updates.  Such a config file exists, but it doesn't
  have to capabilities I feel that I need.

- a way to specify the default boot selection that isn't a cardinal
  number but a label of some kind.  For the same reason that
  assemblers replaced machine language in the early 1950s.

- a way to name the menu choices under my control.

  For example, on my Netbook, the Windows 7 Restore partition is
  labelled automatically "Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sda1)".  I'd
  like it to be called something accurately scary.  The actual Windows
  7 Starter partition is labelled "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda2)
  -- not as bad.

- a way to order the menu choices under my control.

  For example, on another machine, I want the default to be WindowsXP.
  GRUB2 puts this choice after the Linux partitions which means that
  I have to count properly to set the default boot partition.  0, on
  the other hand, is an easy number: I want WinXP to be the first
  choice.

I know that all these things can be accomplished, but I think only at
cross-purposes to update-grub.